Thursday, November 6, 2008

Foothill Theatre's not-quite "Hamlet"


Here's a show that Pat, my wife, and I couldn't quite agree on. I've adored "Hamlet" ever since I first read it in college. Like no other play it captures the profound depression that assails young people who discover, as they enter adulthood, that those they've revered all their lives are less than perfect So what I prepare for is the poignant recapture of that passage from childhood to maturity, with it's realization, finally, that we are all ultimately fallible.

She, on the other hand, came to the production with an open mind, enjoying the show for what it was, an exciting adventure in entertainment. Most of the audience seemed to agree with her. So in fairness to theatergoers who don't share my peculiar demands, I wrote a review that, I hope, is fair to everybody. Still, I wish that when theater companies offer us a revered classic, they would provide the classic, not their own whimsical "originality."

Okay, so I'm prejudiced.

To see the review as it appeared on November 5 in El Dorado Hills' "Village Life," click the title of this post.


No comments: